Days 3, 4 & 5 of 365 Days Of Low Carbon Living.
Summer in the southern hemisphere is in full swing with much of Australia heading into a heatwave.
What I do
In a previous post I describe 3 ways I keep my home cool without air-conditioning and its associated financial costs and climate damage:
- Use windows and doors the right way.
- Shade the outside of windows.
- Turn off all sources of heat.
First, we like to keep cool when it’s hot (of course!).
Just as important, though, did you know that the gases used in air conditioners are by far the most damaging to our climate – yet air conditioning is increasing?
As well, there are:
- the damage to our climate from fuel-based electricity generation to run air conditioners, and
- the financial costs of owning and running an air conditioner.
Can we keep our homes cool without airconditioning this summer? Post a comment to let me know how you go.
Any change or challenge is easier if you have company along the way.
So let’s embark on this journey together.
- Read my blog every day for ideas, thoughts and experiences for living a lower carbon lifestyle, more in harmony with nature – while also adapting to the consequences of our damaged climate.
- Subscribe to get posts direct to your inbox.
- Commit to taking action yourself.
- Add a comment to let me know you’re joining in the effort to turn around our world so it can remain liveable – and what your experiences are.
- Share with others my posts and what you’re doing – our efforts, progress, experiences and challenges – on Facebook, on Twitter, in conversations with friends, on talkback radio and in letters to the editor.
A problem shared is a problem halved. We’re all affected by the changes to our world so we need to be all in on the action!
Till next time…